I made a new art journal over the weekend. I’ve been using a purchased book for my sketches lately but I really like using books that I made. And I’ve got a TON of paper. Both watercolor paper and decorative paper and I really need to start using it. I discovered I had some8x8 book board from 7Gypsies that I bought a couple of years ago. I was thinking about an 8x10 book—but finding book board already cut and close to the size I wanted changed my mind. I decided to use this paper I got from the Cavallini warehouse sale for the cover. Their paper is beautifully printed, colorful and a perfect weight for a cover.
Then I found this great orange paper for the inside. So I started cutting, gluing, and folding.
Next, I went through all my watercolor paper. My favorite paper is hot press but I like to add a few sheets of cold press to my books as well. I have 22x30 sheets of paper so I spent quite a while measuring, marking, folding and tearing paper.
Next comes the binding. I decided to use Coptic binding. I’ve done several books using this binding but there is always a long stretch of time between each book, so I always have to re-learn the process. I’ve promised myself that this time I will do another book very soon so I can (hopefully) retain the instructions. Plus, I’m hoping that more practice will result in a more consistent binding. Some of my stitches are too loose and some are too tight.
So the book is done. Everything I used to make this book came from my stash which is a bonus. Now I just need to make the first mark on that daunting blank page.